Wednesday 8 June 2016

My top ten OPI

Hello everyone, today I am going to be telling you all about my top ten OPIs currently. Before we get into my top ten I do have some disclaimers along with some stats about my collection for you. So as way of a disclaimer, I would say the vast majority of my collection is from older OPI collections. This is because OPI retails for over $10 now and the best sale they ever have for their core collection is buy 2 get 1 free which isn't the greatest discount. Their limited edition collections however, can be found for $6 or under at Sally Beauty, Trade Secrets, or Winners a few months after they've been released. So I tend to gravitate towards the discounted ones since I can get more of them and they're on their way out so it would be hard for me to find them again. However, once in a while, I do like to splurge on myself and purchase any OPI color for full price, but not necessarily from the core collection.

Now for some stats, I have 121 OPI polishes in my collection, the most I have of any one brand. I have 103 full sized polishes and 18 minis excluding any duplicates. Now picking just ten, was pretty hard for me. Each and every polish I've purchased has a story behind it and I appreciate for different reasons. Even a month from now, some of these polishes could very easily change but for now they are what they are. The last thing I want to let you know is that as with the good, there are polishes from each brand that are not as good. I do love OPI, and they were my first "high end" purchase when I was younger. However, there are some OPIs that have disappointed me. So for the sake of giving you a well rounded picture of how amazing the brand is, and what kind of issues I find with them, I have also included 5 disappointing colors. And the reason I only chose 5 is because out of 121, only 5 were disappointing to me.

Without further ado, here are my top ten OPIs in no particular order.


Here is two amazing coats of Green on the Runway. I fell in love with this polish from the moment I wore it, I had nothing like this when I got it. And this polish was actually a birthday gift from my niece, she had bought me the entire mini set of the Coca-Cola collection the summer it originally released. I loved it so much that I bought myself a full size bottle.




This is two coats of Coca-Cola Red and I have always loved re nail polish. I think it's very classy and something every skin tone can wear. And the reason I chose this one to be in my top ten was because of the formula. While I love reds, I personally don't appreciate cherry reds because in my experience they always turn out to be too jelly for my preference. This polish however is such a bright red creme with a very easy formula. This one was also from my niece and I have yet to find it in a full sized bottle. I will say that another OPI red I love is Big Apple Red.


Here is two coats of Ski Teal we Drop, This polish has an amazing formula and I just adore the color. It applied so smoothly and has a great tone.


Two coats of Koala Bear-y, first off I love the name. This formula is the reason why OPI is an amazing brand. This is almost opaque in one thin coat but it doesn't have a thick formula, it doesn't streak and dries quickly. I could have easily switched this with OPI Pink Flamenco because it has the same amazing formula, it's just a lighter pink.




This is three coats of My Gecko does Tricks. Now I'm not usually a big fan of three coaters, I have to be willing to spend more time on my nails if it's a three coater. But this polish applied so smoothly and dried so quick that it wasn't hard to build it up. Also I was very surprised at how this tone of green still flattered my skin tone.


Two coats of Hello Hawaii ya? So I remember hunting down and paying well over the standard pricing of OPI to find I'm feeling Sashy from the Miss Universe collection. I was convinced that it was the most beautiful purple and then I found this polish. First of all, the application is amazing, two really smooth and easy coats. But the main reason I love this is the combination of purple and grey. This polish has just enough grey to make it a very neutral purple and it looks stunning.



Two coats of Give me Space. This one just sneaked it's way into my top ten, it is relatively new to my collection and the first time I wore it, it felt so thick. But I gave it another chance and when I wore it outside in the sun, it was beautiful. Definitely different that the usual OPI I see.



Two coats of Jade is the New Black. I think this is a color that a lot of people would love, it is a cult classic for OPI. I got this on my birthday for myself and every time I wear it, I get a lot of compliments. It is a great mid tone green and again, great formula.



Two coats of My Dogsled is  Hybrid. I did have a few favorites from the Nordic collection, but this was the one that I found myself picking up most often. It is a lovely sea green creme and as I've been saying for the others, it has a really good formula.



Last but not least, is one coat of Push and Shove. I would recommend this polish for everyone as well. It is such an intense metallic with minimal steps. It does come with it's own special base coat but applies fine on your bare nail. I don't like how quickly this polish fades because it's only a one night polish but since it's easy to put on, I am okay with it.


Now for my 5 disappointing polishes; a quick disclaimer here is that these polishes are not necessarily bad polishes, they just didn't live up to my expectations or the hype. I did not swatch these because I didn't want to put them on my nails again and I had a bad nail break.





Alpine snow, OPIs classic white from their core collection. I got this from a 10 pack at Trade Secrets and I'm really happy I got to try this. Now I had heard that it was a two coater and it lasted nicely on the nail. Unfortunately for me, I found that it took three coats and it had a pretty thick formula. I think the most disappointing aspect to me was that for this mini bottle, which is only one fourth of a regular bottle, I had to add nail polish thinner 3 to 4 times to be able to use it. And that doesn't sit well with me for a mini. I'm not sure if it's because it's a mini that I had problems with their formula but Alpine Snow just didn't live up to the hype for me.



From that same mini pack I also got Cajun Shrimp and was really really disappointed. I had heard so many great things about this color; it was opaque in nearly one coat, it was a nice bright red/orange creme. This was a jelly formula and didn't get opaque even after 3 coats. I have no idea why my bottle is so drastically different. I would be willing to try this again if I could get a good deal on it, but as it stands now, I wouldn't even recommend this to someone.


Suzi's Hungary Again is a beautiful bubble gum pink. After three coats, this was not opaque at all, it had patches and didn't build nicely. So again, another pass for me.



Superstar Status is an interesting polish but it was ultimately disappointing for me. The mix of gold and silver glitter was in an uneven proportion and I found that the longer I wore it, the more I found it looked bad on me. If you wanted nails for a night out, this would be perfect but seeing this polish up close and for long periods of time it just doesn't sit well on the nail plate so it was disappointing for me.




I have no idea why the DS series is more expensive than the regular line so when I found DS Titanium for 50% off at Trade Secrets I decided to give it a try. This was very sheer and wasn't opaque after 3 coats. The main reason this disappointed me was that for a DS series polish, I thought it would be a step up from their regular formula and I found it was sub-par.


Overall, I still love OPI and I buy OPI without hesitation when I find them for good prices. I love their brushes and the shape of their bottle. I'm not a huge fan of their minis since they are hard to use but I still use them. Feel free to leave me a comment letting me know what your favorite OPI is or even one that disappointed you.


4 comments:

  1. I feel like I need to run to Sally Beauty right now, haha, I don't own most of the polishes on this list! Ski Teal We Drop and the 2 from the Hawaii collection look so gorgeous! That's so disappointing about Titanium, it looks gorgeous in the bottle! Will you being doing top 10s for any other brands? I hope so :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you should try to check them out! Hopefully you can get a great deal on them. The Hawaii collection was definitely one of my more favorite collections :). Yeah, I can still layer Titanium over a similar color and hopefully other DS polishes will be better. I am planning to do more top tens. any requests on which brand you'd like to see next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe China Glaze? They have a lot of good ones, would love to see your faves!

      Delete
    2. I sure will!I just have to pick only 10 :)

      Delete